How to choose a comfortable mattress?
We all can agree that not sleeping well at night is the worst feeling, you wake up sleepy and mess up your whole day trying to make yourself feel better, and if you are someone who has been feeling that a lot recently, it’s time you change your mattress. Yes! Believe me or not mattress is a huge factor in our ability to sleep.
But how can we pick a mattress that is perfect for us? Well, that’s pretty simple, but first, we need to know what type of sleepers we belong to:
Side Sleepers: These are the people who prefer to sleep on one side.
Back sleepers: These are the people who prefer to sleep on their back with their face upside.
Stomach Sleepers: These are the people who prefer to sleep on their stomach with their face downside.
Now, that we know the sleeping type we need to focus on the type of mattress that best suits us with the right firmness and features to suit our needs and deliver good sleep.
Types of mattresses
There are five main types of mattresses that we will be considering: Foam, Innerspring, Hybrids, Latex, and Airbed. Knowing the basics about each of these types can serve as a foundation upon which we can continue our search for the best mattress.
1. Foam Mattress: These mattresses consist of foam and no coils. They provide above-average contouring to the body, pressure relief, and motion isolation. These are great for side sleepers and couples.
2. Innerspring Mattress: These are the most common type of mattresses used by people, they consist of a coil-based support system. Coils offer support but lack pressure relief, thus, they are bouncy but provide limited motion isolation. These are great for budget shoppers and all types of sleepers.
3. Hybrid Mattress: These are a mix of innerspring and foam comfort systems. They provide a blend of bounce and contouring with low heat retention and are good for all types of sleepers.
4. Latex Mattress: All layers of this mattress are made of latex rubber. These provide top-notch bounce and durability with moderate contouring. Again, these are great for all types of sleepers.
5. Airbeds: These use air chambers as their support core. They are of the utmost firmness flexibility and usually come with a pump to fill the air. They are great for couples and all types of sleepers as the firmness can be fixed according to comfort.
The firmness of the bed has to be set according to the type of sleeper sleeping on it.
1. Back Sleepers: They should use Medium-firm to firm Mattress
2. Stomach Sleepers: They should use Firm Mattress
3. Side Sleepers: They should use Medium soft to medium-firm Mattress
4. Combination Sleepers: For these sleepers, it is best to know the position they spend the most time on, but, if they can’t pick on a Medium-firm mattress, is a safe bet.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to choose the right mattress and pick what’s best for yourself.